Ok, we know there are a lot of sugary treats and alcohol-filled parties coming up in the next few days, what is your strategy to combat, reduce, ration or limit the sugary loot without feeling like a candy scrooge?!
Here are a few suggestions- they apply to adults as well as kids!
– Make sure you have a filling, nutritious dinner with a good portion of veggies and protein before you and your family head out trick-or-treating. The same applies to going to a Halloween party. The last thing you want to do is to go out on an empty stomach, only to gorge on all the sweet loot!
– Instead of making all candy “forbidden”, set a limit on how many treats will be eaten after trick-or-treating. Maybe pick your favorite few. Also, medical fact: eat some protein when you have sugar. It will help minimize the sugar spike in your bloodstream. Cheese or edamame will do the trick!
– Also, what are you giving out this year? Instead of tempting yourself by buying your favorite kit-kat or jujubes, buy candy that you don’t particularly like. Better yet, get creative and give out non-edible goodies such as glow sticks, pencils, erasers, silly bands or groovy flossers – they cost about the same as candy and stand out from all the other stuff!
– Halloween is just one night. Put away the extra sweets with the decorations for next year so you won’t be tempted to eat the leftovers. Don’t bring the extras to work, I bet your co-workers don’t need or want it. Some parents find that letting the kids have a few pieces a day for the following days slowly reduces the hoarding. Some slowly take out candy bit by bit. Some find that offering the kids to trade in the loot for a trip to the toy or bookstore is just as appealing to them.
– How about allowing yourself to indulge but then burn off the extra calories? Uforia has all the regularly scheduled classes this weekend and next week and we’re hosting an awesome Halloween Dance Party at 7:30 pm, which is free, with Kelly following Asya’s 6:30 pm Zumba class.
– Come dressed in your costume and unique outfits will win fabulous prizes… We will be collecting non-perishable food items in place of charging for the class. Please bring an item(s) with you to the party! To prepare for the event we’ll be rehearsing our Thriller-Heads Will Roll choreographed dance in Kelly’s Zumba class on Saturday. Then during the dance party we’ll be live streaming the dance to the world. That’s right, feel no guilt for ditching the family, they can watch you on TV!
There is a lots going on this weekend. Get out there and let your freak flag fly, be safe and have fun!!!
To sign up for Aysa’s Zumba class, or the Halloween Dance Party, click here: Schedule